Administrators (Group Managers) FAQ's
Note that you can also refer to documentation on:
| Creating/Renewing Account|
| Setting passwords and
How do I let other faculty and staff get into Mathprograms?
NEVER share your identity with a colleague; each user must
have their own login. The original group manager can create all other group manager
and faculty identities. Remember that group managers and faculty have different
choices and utilities in Mathprograms; at least one person (like the chair of the hiring
committee) may need BOTH identities.
As group manager you can provided access for your department faculty by opening the
Config screen and scrolling down to the box entitled
"List of email addresses and passwords of faculty who can review all program applications to your program postings". To add new group managers, enter those identities in the box above that, called "Enter email addresses and passwords of Group Managers".
You can either assign passwords
emailaddress : : newpassword
and submit the screen (if you assign the passwords, be sure to encourage your faculty
members to change it to something of their choosing when they first access
OR, you can let mathprograms set the password. To let the system set the password
emailaddress : :
then submit the screen. Mathprograms will automatically email a password to the faculty
In either case, when you next return to the Config screen you will see that the
password has encoded itself and now sits between the two colons.
Can I limit which applications a faculty member can see?
Yes, it is
possible to limit access to program applications by some or all of your faculty. Consult the information on the Config option and scroll down to number 3. This will provide you with all the information you need to set access permissions for faculty access to program applications. IF all faculty in your faculty box should have unlimited access, please do not use the limit access screens.
How do I post a program?
Use the NewProgram
function on the admin menu. Note that there is a section on your Config screen where
certain questions can be set up for ALL of your program listings.
How do edit a program positing?
Log in as a group manager and go to
JOBS. Next to each program is an EDIT button. That takes you to the program entry screen.
Make any changes, and submit.
NEVER edit an old posting to use it again in the current
year, this will keep all old applicants in place. If needed, you can
DUPLICATE an old listing to create a new program listing.
How do I change my program listing and/or program deadline date?
Programs, and click the edit button for that program. Then scroll down to either List this program or Deadline,
change the date(s) and hit submit.
Note there are three date boxes on each program screen:
List this program shows the dates between which you want
this program to be visible to applicants.
Deadline shows the last date a new application can be
submitted through Mathprograms (plus a box right there which you should only check if you
DO NOT want late applications).
Can I send email to all the applicants who have applied for a program all at
Yes, just go to the Mail function in
the Admin menu (you must be logged in as a group
manager). In the Query section of that screen select
the appropriate criteria. After selecting the recipients, you type in your message
and send. Separate emails are sent to each. Previously sent messages are saved at
the bottom of the screen.
How do I get all applicants to answer a question when applying?
Use the Ask Applicants this question boxes on the Config screen, being sure to checkmark them. A question suitable for one program only should be asked on the program entry screen.
How do I use the Required Material box?
First of all, remember
that the text of your program is the place to notify applicants about your requirements.
The boxes in Required Materials should only be used for
separate documents that need to be individually entered into Mathprograms. So it would
be inappropriate to enter an item such as (Be sure all materials are received by
November 12) since that, itself, is not a document that an applicant can upload to
satisfy the requirement.
NEVER ASK FOR THE COVERSHEET because that is already included in every applicant
account. You will always see the coversheet each time you click on an applicant
In the Required Materials box:
- the check box means yes, require this item
- the number means the minimum you require for that item. 0 (zero) means they MAY submit some of that item but it is
not required, and a + (plus sign) after your number means that you are giving a
minimum but will allow additional uploads.
- If you do not want any of a certain item named in the list, simply do not
- If you need an additional document name, just type it in to an empty box and
checkmark that line. NEVER ask for the coversheet.
- OnLine and PostalMail
refer to whether you expect the item to be submitted through Mathprograms (that is
normal) or sent, for some reason, by postal mail instead. If you want something by
postal mail, be sure you have given a mailing address in the text box that contains
the complete program description.
- Writers contact info only refers to a case where
you are NOT asking for reference letters at this time (for instance, a more senior
position) but you need contact info in order to be able to contact the reference
How do I download/export data?
Download data onto your own computer
in two ways:
- Labels is where you select fields for
downloading onto your own computer, for use in producing labels, lists or merge
letters from your own software.
- You can download application data to a spreadsheet. Please refer to the download instructions in the Faculty Guide.
- Snapshots allows
you to download, in one zip file, all current application materials. You can store
this large file on your own computer system for safekeeping or viewing. It's best to
do a snapshot when the hiring is done and you need to store a record of the
applications for a few years. The screen will tell you when previous snapshots were
taken. Snapshots CANNOT be made a year or two later; you need to take them when the
program is current, before applicants have a chance to delete materials.
| EOE Data|
Question pertaining to EOE data should be send via email to Mathprograms.org or
call 1-800-331-3842, ext. 4096.
EOE data can be collected by
marking the EOE question on the CONFIG screen. Applicants will be asked the
questions that appear in the box. These questions can be edited by someone who
understands some basics of perl scripting and follows all the rules mentioned there.
The EOE data collected is available, in summary form, to group managers. To create
special access for an institutional EOE officer, a login identity can be created in
the box List of email addresses which can access raw EOE
| Applicant list and
How do I search/sort this list?
Any column heading can be clicked
to sort by that column. For more sophisticated searching, use the SEARCH feature on
the menu to create and save specific searches. These search
filters will then start appearing as options on your List.
What does the + sign next to an applicant name mean?
click on the + sign next to an applicant name, it opens a text box which allows you
enter comments regarding the applicant.
What does the + sign next to a reference writer name mean?
you click on the + sign next to a reference writer name, you are able to upload a
scanned reference letter.
What can I do with a paper application, or reference letter?
paper applications come in, use the NEW APP form to
enter an email into the Mathprograms system and generate an email message which will
advise the applicant to go to Mathprograms and apply there. You can see any names you
already entered, and their status, by looking at the No
Cover list under the ADMIN menu.
When you receive a paper reference
letter, you can scan the letter and upload it into that applicants file. Be sure to
set the scanner to black & white, and use a fairly low resolution. Always enter
reference letters onto the proper line for that writers name; use the green + button
to pull up the upload screen. After uploading, the pdf of the document should show
in that line. Applicants cannot access any document that you put into the reference
section. If you do not need to scan and upload the letter, you may want to just
mark it as received.
What does Processed and Complete mean on
Processed can be automatically
marked when you use the Labels function. Otherwise, the group manager can mark these
two columns as they like.
Are the faculty seeing the same screens that a group manager sees?
Not exactly. Use the AsFaculty choice on the Admin menu to
see what the faculty view is like. Faculty cannot access the Config screen, or
change any program listings. They have extra options for ranking applications.
| Program and Account Retention|
What happens once my program is finished?
- Group managers can control the status of each program by using the Program Status settings available at the bottom of each program Config edit screen.
- Programs marked as "finished" in the Program Status will be kept in the database for 3 more years. Programs marked as "deleted" will be kept in the database for 6 more months.
- All programs will be automatically marked as "finished" 6 months after the last display date or the deadline whichever is sooner.
- All applications are deleted once a program is "finished" or "deleted".
- Create a Snapshot of your program before it is marked "finished" or "deleted" to keep a record of it. Snapshots are kept for 3 years. Download the snapshot to your computer if you wish to keep it beyond 3 years.
Why has my LIST disappeared?
- Once a program is marked "finished" or "deleted", the LIST for that program will no longer be accessible on the LIST screen.
What do the options for Program Status at the bottom of my program Config edit screen mean?
- Current the correct setting for a program where you are accepting applications, or still reviewing applications. Deadlines and public-display dates are set using the date fields mentioned above.
- Withdrawn rarely used; appropriate for a short-lived program posting which received some applications before you had to stop your search.
- Filled this shows a Filled status to all who see the program listing, but your LIST remains in place. Appropriate for the period after hiring, while some contact and record storage is still needed.
- Finished the normal status after the hiring is complete. The LIST for that program will no longer be accessible on the list screen. A program listing which is six months past its deadline or six months past the list until date (whichever is earlier) will roll automatically to Finished status.
- Deleted (danger!) -- almost never used, this is appropriate only for a listing that was created in error and received no applications.
How long do the applicant, reference writer and faculty accounts remain active?
- Faculty accounts remain active; they never get deleted.
- Applicant accounts are deleted if the applicant has not logged on for 12 months.
- Reference writers are deleted when: they are not named as references by any applicants and not named as reference proxies; they haven't logged into MathPrograms in 2 years.
Call AMS staff at 800-321-4267, ext. 4096.