| Using the PORTFOLIO option|
| The main PORTFOLIO page|
- The *Links* listed in the Mathprograms.Org header are all the actions/options available to you as an applicant. The first link is Portfolio, which would just reload the Portfolio page you are on right now. The other links would take you out of Portfolio and into the option associated with the link selected.
The first item is Standard Cover Sheet. If you have not submitted your cover sheet here at MathPrograms.Org yet, you will see a prompt to do so, as is shown in the example window above. Details on creating or updating your cover sheet are below. Again, the Cover Sheet is required for all programs ... be sure to fill it out as completely as possible.
If you have already submitted your cover sheet, this item will appear on the Portfolio page like this:
- Standard Cover Sheet [pdf, form]
Clicking on the pdf link will bring up your cover sheet in PDF format, which you can then print out and mail to an employer. Clicking on the form link will allow you to add program names that you're applying for, as well as including any references you have listed on your cover sheet, to a PDF copy of your cover sheet that you can print out and mail to an employer.
Following the Standard Cover Sheet are the other portfolio items you may need to submit: a Cover Letter, CV, Publication List, Research and Teaching Statements. Details on creating or updating other portfolio items for these categories are below.
If you have already submitted an item to any of the portfolio categories, this item will appear on the Portfolio page like this example:
- Curriculum Vitae
- cv #1 [data (format type of file, pdf, 16 bytes)]
- Clicking on the portfolio category name (here, it is Curriculum Vitae) will allow you to create additional Portfolio entry items.
Clicking on the entry item name (e.g., cv #1, in the example above) will allow you to update or delete this portfolio entry. If you wish to replace a file you had specified here earlier, simply upload a new file to replace the old one on this screen.
The next link refers to the actual submitted portfolio material and the format it was submitted in. Clicking on it brings up the data in that format. This portfolio item format link could be Word, PDF, PostScript, DVI, GIF, JPEG, LaTeX, TeX, RTF, HTML, or TEXT.
- Clicking on the pdf link will bring up your portfolio item in PDF format, which you then then print out and mail to an employer.
The last item, add your own..., allows you to add a portfolio category of your own. If you have a document that you want to add to your portfolio but it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, click on this item.
On the Create a new portfolio entry form that comes up, leave the Select One showing and then type a new category name into the blank text box after or (for example, "Preprints".)
After you have created it, your new portfolio entry will be displayed on this page at the end of the list of portfolio items, with another add your own... link available again below that.
See the previous item for more information on working with submitted portfolio items listed on this page. Details on creating or updating your portfolio items are below.
| Creating or updating your cover sheet|
Below are actions available to you when you click on the Standard Cover Sheet.
- If you have not yet submitted a Cover Sheet, you will see the title Create A New Cover Sheet.
If you have filled out a TeX version of the cover sheet before, you should have a data file (normally called "empcover.dat").
- You can upload that file by clicking on the browse.. button to select the file from your machine and then click on upload.
- If you do upload your TeX cover sheet file, be sure to validate the information in the uploaded form.
- If you have already submitted your cover sheet and you are now updating it, you will see the title Update Your Existing Cover Sheet on this page instead, and the topmost upload section will not be present.
- If your e-mail address changes (new email server, you move to another institution, etc.), be sure to update it here. Once you update your email address here, you will need to use that new email address to log in to MathPrograms.Org to access your account and all its data.
- About halfway down the cover sheet page, you'll see: Would you like to be considered for a temporary program?. This item is asking: If, in the event you are unsuccessful in obtaining the program you are applying for and you want to be considered for other, temporary programs in the department, check the checkbox following the question.
If you checked the checkbox (indicating "yes"), please, in addition, check the appropriate box(es) below this for the type of time-limited program(s) you would consider. The types of programs you can choose are: Postdoctoral Position, 2+ Year Position, and 1 Year Position.
- Below this you will list your References. The Email address is required. There are also checkboxes above the Name text box that you may want to utilize:
- Click the checkbox agreed to be a reference? if you have contacted this person and they have agreed to be your reference.
- Another checkbox, email notify on submit? is next to this. When you are ready to notify your references (at initial coversheet submission, or later), you click this checkbox and submit. You can also edit your cover sheet later, click the checkbox and resubmit your cover sheet form. An automated email with login information will be sent to your references to request their reference letters.
- If the Reference Writer will not be using MathPrograms, check the box: "check here to indicate that this writer insists on sending references by postal mail".
- The last section on this form is Questions about your MathPrograms.Org account.
If you wish to remove yourself from consideration for any programs for which you've previously applied, click the checkbox to indicate that you are not available to attend programs. Institutions whose programs you have applied for will see a "Not Available" designation next to your name. You will not be considered for any programs as long as this is checked.
- The last item is Remove my account and all files .. . Once all the programs you've applied for are finished, you may wish to remove all your data from the system (essentially "delete yourself"). You can check this box if you wish to do this. This will cause your files to be deleted three months after all the programs you've applied for are marked "finished" by the employer. For applicants who never apply for any programs, checking this box will cause an account to be deleted after six months.
- Click on submit button for this information to be submitted for your cover sheet.
| Creating, updating or deleting other portfolio entries|
From the Portfolio page, click on any of the remaining categories to create, update, or delete your other Portfolio entries:
If you click on any of those Portfolio links, you will then be able to create or update entries for your Cover Letter, CV, Publication List, Research and Teaching Statements, or any other portfolio category you may wish to create.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Publication List
- Research Statement
- Teaching Statement
- add your own...
- To the right of Category is a drop-down box with a selection of the portfolio entry categories. Select from : Cover Letter, CV, Publication List, Research Statement, Teaching Statement, or Select One. The category you chose on the Portfolio page will determine which selection, by default, will show up first in this drop-down box. You can accept the default selection or choose a different one.
To create a new, additional category of your own, choose Select One and then type a new category name into the blank text box after or new. An example might be "Preprints". Your new portfolio entry will be displayed on the main Portfolio page at the end of the list of portfolio categories, with an add your own... link below that.
Next, enter a meaningful name for this portfolio item at Entry Name.
The next section is Data, where you will enter your data or specify your data file.
- If your portfolio item is a file on your computer, you will use the first item here, Select a file to upload, to do this. Your file can be in any of the following format: PDF, Word, PostScript, DVI, GIF, JPEG, LaTeX, TeX, RTF, HTML, or TEXT. Click on the Browse.. button to select a local file from your computer.
- In the text box just below OR type in text/url/html directly in the following text area, you have another option for entering your portfolio item. You can enter your data in one of three ways:
- You can simply type in your letter as plain text right here. Just click on the text box and start typing!
- If you have created a web page that contains your reference letter for this applicant, enter the URL for that web page here in the text box.
- If you would like to submit your reference letter for this applicant as HTML, enter the HTML here in the text box.
If you are creating this portfolio item, you will have the buttons Submit and Reset. If you wish to "reset" (or clear out) this form, the Reset button will set this form back to its original state. Click on Submit to submit this portfolio item.
If you are updating or deleting this portfolio item, you will have the buttons Submit, Delete and Reset. If you wish to "reset" (or clear out) this form, the Reset button will set this form back to its original state. Click on Submit to submit the updates for this entry. Click on Delete to delete this portfolio entry.