| The main LIST page|
The List option allows Program Directors review and update applications received for each program. Let's take a look at the actions offered on this page, starting from the top, going down:
- The links listed in the Mathprograms.Org top header are all the actions/options available to you as the departmental MathPrograms administrator. The first link is List, which is also the initial page when you first log in. The other links would take you out of List and into the option associated with the link selected.
If you do not have any applications for your program(s) yet, or if you haven't listed any programs yet, the Application List area will be blank. Once you have applicants for your program(s), they will appear in this list and the following documentation may assist you. Later, when you mark your programs as "finished" or "deleted" the names of applicants for those programs will no longer appear on this list.
Clicking on the Application List header will set the applicant list to its default state. You may want to use this feature after you've changed the ordering of the data or number of columns (see details on this below) of the applicant list.
Clicking on a letter in the alphabet listing under the Application List header will create a list of only those applicants whose last name begins with that letter.
- Displaying applicants for only particular program(s):
Directly to the right of the alphabetic selection, you will see the program acronyms you've assigned to your program listings. Initially, all your program acronyms will appear as bright green. The bright green means that all applications for that program are displayed. Clicking on a bright green program acronym will temporarily "hide" the applicants for that program, and the green will turn to gray. To see applicants for one program only, make sure that only that particular program acronym is selected in bright green and that all the others show as gray. - Clicking again on a gray program acronym will "activate" the program again, display that program's applicants.
Likewise, by clicking on the bright orange "Active" and "Inactive" links to the right of the program acronyms, you can display only those applicants that are Active or Inactive.
Clicking on one of the column headings: Name, Received, LastUpdated, Degree, Year, Source, AppliedFor, or Refs will re-order your applicant list based on the alpha or numeric ordering of the column.
If you click on the green plus sign next to an applicant's Name, , you have the opportunity to add private notes to yourself about this applicant. Once you have added a private note, the green plus sign changes to a smiley face. When you hover your cursor over the smiley face, you will see your private notes. You will also see them when you view the application, in the Private Notes section.
If, after clicking on the green plus sign and getting the little private notes window, you decide that you don't want to write any notes and want to exit the notes window, just Reload/Refresh this page.
To print, update, or process an application, click on the name of the applicant, in the Name column. This will bring up a window, which is documented below.
| Printing, Processing, and Updating your applications|
If you click on the name of the applicant in the Name column, you will get the application information for that applicant. Let's take a closer look at this page to clarify what actions are available to you:
- In the first row of data, directly below the applicant's name, you'll see links for Reload, PDF, All, and Edit.
- Reload will reload the page anew, undoing any selections you've made.
- PDF will bring up the applicant's cover sheet in PDF format. Here you will be able to print it out by selecting File | Print...
- All will bring up all the applicant's materials - cover sheet, portfolio items, and reference letters in PDF format. Here you will be able to print it out by selecting File | Print...
The "down arrow" next to All will allow you to select files or items to be excluded from the applicant's materials displayed by the All function. — If, after clicking on the down arrow and getting the little material selection window, you decide that you don't want to exclude any items and want to exit this window, just Reload/Refresh this page.
- Edit will bring up the cover sheet for the applicant. You will be able to edit any of these fields. Refer to the Applicant's cover sheet documentation for details.
- Below the applicant's basic information, you'll find Position(s) applied. Here you will be able to de-select a program that had been applied to if the applicant withdraws their application from that program. To de-select, just uncheck the box and click Submit. Please note that applicants can log into their MathPrograms account and withdraw an application themselves.
- The Processed? checkbox is where you can indicate that you have taken the necessary steps to complete initial processing at your institution.
- Mark the Complete? checkbox if all the required material has been received for that applicant. Once an application is Complete, it is ready for review by the program faculty.
- The References section is the next item. When reference letters have not been received online (yet), there will be a checkbox with Received?. Check the box to indicate that you have received the item.
Once a letter has been received online from the reference letter writers, a date of receipt will appear and you can view and print the item received.
- If you see a checkmark before the reference's name, this means that this person has agreed to be a reference.
- In the box to the right of a listed reference, the first link will refer to the actual submitted reference letter and the format it was submitted in. This reference letter format link could be Word, PDF, PostScript, DVI, GIF, JPEG, LaTeX, TeX, RTF, HTML, or TEXT. Clicking on this link will bring up the reference letter in the format it was submitted.
- PDF will bring up the data in PDF format, where you can easily print it.
- The Received Material section is toward the bottom of the page. When items have not been received online (yet), there will be a checkbox with Received?. Check the box to indicate that you have received the item. Once an item has been received online, you can view and print all the material that has been received for this applicant. For each program applied for, the materials will be listed to the right of the program's acronym designation.
- To the right of a listed item, the first link will refer to the actual submitted material and the format it was submitted in. This item format link could be Word, PDF, PostScript, DVI, GIF, JPEG, LaTeX, TeX, RTF, HTML, or TEXT.
- PDF will bring up the data in PDF format, where you can easily print it.
- The Staff Log is where staff can keep notes about the progress of the application. Once written and submitted, the note will appear in this area, with the date and username automatically appended. A new, blank Staff Log box will appear, ready for the next note. For example, if the user with email address firstname.lastname@example.org submits the following log note "Called applicant", the note will appear as
- 2002/10/30, jsmith; Called applicant.
If you are tracking paper folders, you may use the last box to indicate which faculty member has taken the folder, and use the "check in" box (which will appear later) to check the folder back in.
- The last item is Private Notes. Here you can add your own private notes about this application. Any Private Notes you added while on the List page (above) will also be displayed here.