University of Wisconsin-Stout REU in Mathematics: June 2 - July 27, 2013
The UW-Stout REU will be an 8-week program in which 8 students work with 5 faculty members on projects from Algebraic Geometry, Complex Analysis and Geometric Group Theory. With the 8:5 student to faculty ratio, students will experience much close collaboration and mentoring from participating faculty as they come to the cutting edge of research in these fields. By the end of the REU, students will be actively engaging independent research, writing their results and giving talks to other REU student audiences. For more detailed information on the projects visit the REU website.
Highlights of this REU include,
Special attention will be given to professional development activities focused on helping students prepare for graduate school and careers in mathematics. At the same time as learning research-level mathematics, you will be preparing to take your skills and knowledge gained at the REU to the next level in graduate school and beyond. The workshops will benefit all students, helping you to get a jump start on the next step in your research career. First generation college students may find these workshops particularly helpful in preparing for their next career steps and we particularly encourage first generation students to apply for the REU at UW-Stout.
- $4000 stipend plus $400 meal allowance
- Furnished suite-style housing with wifi in every room
- Travel allowance to and from UW-Stout
- Travel support to attend the Baltimore MD, January 15 - 18, 2014
- Weekly professional development workshops
- GRE preparation
- Research Strategies
- How to give a talk
- Computational tools and scientific computing
- Research careers in mathematics
- Guest mathematician speaker from industry or government lab
A complete application consists of:
Application Deadline: March 1, 2013
- A completed application form available at the UW-Stout mathematics REU website.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors familiar with your mathematical experience. These letters can be requested through this website as you submit the application.