REU site in the Mathematical Sciences, A Broad Spectrum of Opportunities, at Ursinus College
Ursinus College’s REU site in the Mathematical Sciences, A Broad Spectrum of Opportunities, is an exciting program sponsored by the NSF. Undergraduate students spend 8 weeks during the summer devoted exclusively to working in teams on original research in the mathematics or computer science under the close tutelage of a faculty mentor. Participants will have transformative learning experiences on- and off-campus, will work in an environment that fosters interaction, and will network and develop professional relationships with the larger mathematical sciences community. The program goals are to nurture undergraduates’ interest and skills in research, improve their ability to utilize complex methods and analyze complex issues, and provide them with the mathematical sophistication required for successful research careers in the mathematical sciences. For more information, visit our REU website: www.ursinus.edu/reu.
Open to undergraduates nationwide. Eight students will be competitively selected. The students receive a stipend ($3,600), on-campus housing, and expenses for travel and REU activities, including travel to conferences throughout the year following the program. Students will also participate in activities and educational events sponsored by the Summer Fellows programs at Ursinus College.
The REU is coordinated by Dr. Yahdi, Chair of the Mathematics & Computer Science Department at Ursinus College. Ursinus is an independent, highly selective, nationally ranked, co-educational, residential liberal arts college located in Collegeville- Pennsylvania, 25 miles northwest of center city Philadelphia. Ursinus is selected as one of only 40 colleges in the book, "Colleges That Change Lives."
• Summer 2012 Projects: Mathematics and Antibiotic-Resistant Infections, Discrete Morse functions and Homology, and Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks
• Stipend & Expenses: $3600, in addition to on campus housing & activities expenses.
• Application Deadline: March 5th, 2012. Review of applications may begin earlier.
• Online Application Only through the automated system mathprograms.org.
• Application Material:
1. Online Standard Coversheet, including the project of interest.
2. Cover Letter with statement of interest, qualifications & goals (such as your own interest in mathematics or computer science, in the REU and in the selected project; qualifications for successfully completing the project; academic/educational goals, career plans; benefit from this REU; any information which would help us evaluate your application.)
4. Two Recommendation Letters (submitted by the reference writers)
5. Transcript (unofficial is fine)
• Eligibility: U.S. citizenship or permanent resident (NSF requirement), sophomore or junior enrolled in an undergraduate program. Underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
• REU Web site: www.ursinus.edu/reu
• Contact & Questions: Dr. Yahdi, Email: REU.email@example.com, Phone: 610 409 3294